The Sweet Home Police Department is not currently
Sweet Home Police Officer Employment Requirements
The City of Sweet Home is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, mental or physical disability.
Education and Experience:
A high school diploma or GED equivalent is required. A minimum of an Associate's Degree (AA/AS) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or eighteen months or greater of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is desired.
- Must be 21 years or older at the time of employment.
- Felony convictions and disqualifying criminal histories are not allowed.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be able to proficiently and effectively read, speak, and write the English language; preference may be given for bilingual skills.
- Must be of good moral character and of temperate and industrious habits.
- Must be available to work all shifts, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Must meet department’s physical qualifications.
- Must pass comprehension and psychological examinations and medical exams prior to employment.
- Must be medic first aid and CPR certified within 2 months of employment.
- Must meet state requirements including training, vision, hearing, and background standards for certification as a law enforcement officer with the Department of Public Safety Standards and Training.
- Must possess a valid Oregon Driver’s License prior to hiring.
- Must have ability to: learn the applicable laws, ordinances, and department rules and regulations; perform work requiring good physical condition; communicate effectively orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, and supervisors; exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions; react quickly and calmly under emergency conditions; follow verbal and written instructions; meet the special requirements listed below; and learn the City’s geography.
- Must be able to obtain Police Officer Certification from the Department of Public Safety and Training with in 12 months of employment.
Each applicant must be of good moral fitness (moral character). The following are indications of a lack of good moral fitness:
- Illegal conduct involving moral turpitude.
- Conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit, or misrepresentation.
- Intentional deception or fraud or attempted deception, or fraud in any application, examination, or other document.
- Conduct that is prejudicial to the administration of justice.
- Acts or conduct which would cause a reasonable person to have substantial doubts about the individual's honesty, fairness, respect for the rights of others, or for the laws of the state and/or the nation.
- Conduct that adversely reflects on the individual's fitness to perform as a law enforcement officer.